The year 2020 has made the future of on-demand services businesses brighter. As the nations worldwide got locked down due to the pandemic, consumer globally has embraced the on-demand services apps to meet their day-to-day needs. And today, consumers are demanding more services to be delivered on-demand from the comfort of their homes. In this article, we’ll explore the challenges and best practices in On-demand Services App Development.
As the on-demand applications facilitate quicker service and more convenient purchasing experiences, the sector manages to attract nearly 22.4 million users on an annual basis. If you are planning to launch your on-demand service application, you would probably have a few questions circling in your mind. More importantly, you would be wondering about how to get started. For launching a successful on-demand service business, you need to follow certain practices to ensure that you have put your best foot forward in the market.
Generally, there are two primary ways through which a business can implement an on-demand delivery model:
- Partner with a third-party delivery service
One way and the faster way to start the on-demand service business is to partner with a third-party delivery service provider. In this model, you can use the existing infrastructure of the business partner to deliver your business offering to your customers. But the success and growth of your business are directly tied with the performance of the partner. The service delivery is highly prone to mistakes and a couple of mistakes from the partner could essentially break your business. And that’s why you should opt for the second model if you plan to scale your business.
- Develop a dedicated on-demand service application/infrastructure
By developing a dedicated on-demand service application fine-tuned to match the specific business requirements, you can ensure the maximum customer satisfaction and thereby, scalability of your business.
Let’s have a deeper look into the benefits of having a dedicated on-demand service application and the best practices in developing it.
Benefits of on-demand service applications
Many business owners will probably wonder whether on-demand service apps are actually worth the investment or not. Do the benefits of such apps outweigh the challenges associated with them? Some of the major advantages of on-demand service apps include-
- Speed: On-demand service applications are well known for their speed. Generally, it takes a mere 5 minutes to a couple of days to execute a particular customer request. The payment process also happens very quickly, which makes it very easy for both the customers and the service provider.
- Convenience: On-demand service applications are extremely convenient for both the service provider as well as the user. Every aspect of the purchasing process, from browsing to order tracking is much more simplified and streamlined with the apps.
- Transparency: Customer ratings and reviews that are given by users promote trust and transparency. Businesses can also monitor the feedback and respond to any potential issues.
Need help with App Development?
Choose from our pool of experienced developers
Best practices in on-demand service application development
So, if you have decided that it is time for you to develop a dedicated on-demand service application, there are a few practices that you should consider implementing. Some of the primary ones include:
- Conduct extensive research on your consumer base or target market
In order to know what features to focus on, it is important to know your target market. This refers to the customers who you want to appeal to with your product. Take a look at the existing applications and figure out how your customers respond to them. This could give you an insight into any additional benefits that you could offer to consumers. You can also conduct surveys to understand the demographics and desires of your target audience. When you have this kind of knowledge, it will be easier to provide the right information to your application development partner.
- Account for the latest features and technology stack
In this market, standing out from your rivals is crucial. The only way to do this is by ensuring that your application stays relevant and up to date with all the latest trends. Choose the best available technology stack and get help from a mobile app development company, so that your application runs smoothly.
In order to make sure that your consumers are happy, make sure to include certain mobile app features that can contribute towards a positive consumer experience. Some of the main ones include:
- Features that promote convenience: Added convenience is one of the major benefits offered by these kinds of mobile applications. So make sure to include features like intuitive user interface, speed, minimum number of clicks, simple login and check out processes for added convenience.
- Real-time tracking: Many applications like Swiggy and Uber offer real-time tracking features so that the consumers can stay updated on the status of their order at any point in time. This feature can improve consumer experience greatly.
- Maps: By prioritizing maps integration, apps can easily detect the location of users and provide personalized recommendations based on where they are.
- Easy payment feature: Make sure that the payment gateways that you set up are easy to use. By allowing for various methods of payment, the payment process gets more convenient for both merchants and consumers.
- Ratings and reviews: If you provide a feature that allows customers to rate and review your services, it will build trust much faster. It also promotes transparency between the merchant and consumers.
- Login/Authentication: You can use social networks, email, or a phone number to authenticate a user before they begin using the app.
- Orders: A feature that allows users to place an order in app or add orders manually is crucial in this kind of application.
- In-app messaging or integration with phone calls: This feature can be useful in case consumers need to reschedule their delivery or contact the driver after the order has been accepted.
- Push notifications: This serves as an additional layer of customer experience and can be a powerful engagement tool.
- Additional features: Loyalty and gamification features such as points, discounts, coupons, and invites.
- During launch, prioritize regional areas first
Setting up and managing the logistics and delivery processes associated with on-demand service applications is much easier in a single location. This is why you should begin launch in a local area and then expand to other locations as the application gains popularity.
- Begin early promotion of your application
Promotion is an important aspect of launching an application. How will potential consumers find out about your offerings if you don’t promote them? A lot of companies wait for a few weeks after launch to begin promotion of their applications. However, this can result in missed opportunities. Try to begin promoting your application as early as possible. This allows you to gain the attention of early adopters and beta-testers, as well as get noticed by potential investors.
A minimum viable product refers to a product version with minimal features. MVPs are launched mainly for early customers who can subsequently offer feedback for the final product. Building a basic version of an app with limited functionality is an ideal approach to testing your product with very little investment.
- Offer round the clock support and speedy issue resolution
To ensure the best customer experience, provide 24/7 customer support to the users in case of any problems. Also, make sure to provide quick service as offering fast customer service helps boost satisfaction and loyalty.
Popular applications on the market
Some of the most popular on-demand service applications include:
- Uber: Uber is an extremely popular cab booking service. Its smartphone application connects drivers with people who need a ride. Its application enables users to arrange and schedule transportation and/or logistics services with third-party providers.
- Netflix: This is a subscription-based streaming service that provides online streaming from a library of films and television series, including those produced in-house. Users can simply download an application and access thousands of movies and shows with the click of a button.
- Fiverr: This application works like a marketplace for freelancers where users can invest their creative skill to gain job opportunities and experience. Fiverr can showcase your writing, tech, editing, photography or translation skills and much more.
- Drizly: This is an on-demand alcohol delivery app. Users can also order pre-arranged sets of alcohol to go with a variety of dishes and occasions for an instant order.
- Soothe: This app is designed to soothe stress with an on-demand massage service. It allows mobile users to order a professional massage session right at their home, office or hotel. The app employs professional certified masseurs who carry the whole massage kit including table, oil, music, linen etc.
Developing an on-demand service applications requires a lot of time and effort. It is a long-term project that requires commitment and dedication. If you have any doubts or queries regarding development, feel free to reach out to us.
Need help with App Development?
Choose from our pool of experienced developers